Heading to the Indy 500? Here’s the Parking Info You Need
Racing fans around the world are converging on Indianapolis this weekend for the 102nd running of the Indy 500 which means traffic and parking will be a nightmare (but totally worth it, because PARTY, right?). In an effort to make things run as smoothly as possible, the Indianapolis Speedway Police Department has release a handy guide of parking restrictions so you can plan ahead and know where to go before you "start your engines."
The Department released those restrictions through their official Twitter account Monday night.
The full statement (also available through the Speedway Police website) reads as follows:
The Speedway Police Department reminds local residents and motorists of restricted parking for this year’s 500-Mile Race activities during qualification weekend and race weekend...
No parking will be allowed on qualification weekend on the South and East sides of any street in the area bound by 25th Street on the North, Georgetown Road on the East, Lynhurst Drive on the West, and Crawfordsville Road on the South, from 6:00 PM Thursday through 8:00 PM Sunday. In addition, no parking will be allowed on the 500-Mile Race weekend on the South and East sides of any street in the area bound by 25th Street on the North, Georgetown Road on the East, Lynhurst Drive on the West, and Crawfordsville Road on the South, from 6:00 PM Thursday through 8:00 PM Sunday.
Also, additional restricted parking listed under Section 10.12.190 of the Speedway Municipal Code for qualification weekend from 6:00 PM Thursday through 8:00 PM Sunday and for the 500-Mile Race weekend from 6:00 PM Thursday through 8:00 PM Sunday includes no parking as follows:
(1) On both sides of Speedway Dr. from Lynhurst Dr. to Cord St.
(2) On both sides of N. Auburn St. from 10th St. to Speedway Dr.
(3) On both sides of 25th St. from Lynhurst Dr. to Philwood St.
(4) On both sides of Lynhurst Dr. from 10th St. to 26th St.
(5) On both sides of Cord St. from 16th St. to Speedway Dr.
(6) On the south side of Speedway Dr. from Lynhurst Dr. to Cunningham Rd.
(7) On both sides of 20th St. from the American Legion parking lot west to
Crawfordsville Rd. (S.R. 136) and the entire 20th Street Ct.
(8) On the west side of Winton Ave. from Crawfordsville Rd. (S.R. 136) to 20th St
(9) On both sides of Auburn St. from Crawfordsville Rd. (S.R. 136) to 25th St.
(10) On both sides of 22nd St. from Lynhurst Dr. to Main St.
(11) On the west side of Allison St. from 22nd St. to Winton Ave.
(12) On both sides of 16th St. from Biltmore St. to Cunningham Rd. and continuing
on both sides of Cunningham Rd. to Crawfordsville Rd (S.R. 136).
(13) On the north side of Meadowood Dr. from Lynhurst Dr. to Parkwood.
(14) On both sides of 26th St. from Lynhurst Dr. to Moller Rd.
(15) On the east side of Winton Ave. from 16th St. to Crawfordsville (S.R. 136).
In addition, no person shall park any vehicle, trailer, recreational vehicle, commercial vehicle or any other utility trailer overnight (between the hours of 9:00 PM and 6:00 AM) on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights of the qualification weekend and on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights of the Indianapolis 500-Mile Race weekend in the following locations:
(1) In Meadowood Park and on the streets adjacent to Meadowood Park, including
the north side of Meadowood Drive, the east side of Parkwood Drive, both sides
of School Drive as it borders the east and north sides of Meadowood Park.
(2) In Leonard Park and on the streets adjacent to Leonard Park, including Town
Property at the end of Worth, the east side of Worth and the south side of 15th
Street, as well as the Town Hall Parking lot.
(3) Along the south side of 14th Street west from Winton Avenue to Lynhurst Drive.
(4) Along the north side of 13th Street from Winton Avenue to Allison Street (Junior
High West Side Access Drive).
Other streets requiring restricted parking are Main Street between 10th and 16th Streets and 16th Street from Main Street to Lynhurst Drive.
Overnight camping and camping equipment, including tents, trailers, recreational vehicles and their use or parking thereof is not permitted in any playground, park or recreational area unless authorized by the Speedway Board of Recreation. Parking any trailer, recreational vehicle or commercial vehicle at an intersection of a driveway or alley with any other public streets or highways, or at an intersection of public streets or highways, is not permitted. It is also unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to park or camp in any trailer or recreational vehicle at any time on any street in the Town of Speedway.
It should also be noted that it is unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to charge a fee of any type for access to or the right to park on any public street, thoroughfare, alley or roadway in the Town of Speedway.
Also, keep in mind that should there be a rain out of the Race, it may become necessary to enforce parking restrictions beyond these times.
Motorists and residents are cautioned that those in violation of parking restrictions during these time periods shall be subject to a $50.00 fine, plus towing and storage fees.
[Source: Indianapolis Speedway Police Department]