Historic Downtown Newburgh to Celebrate Spring with First Annual Herb Festival
-by Helen Zimmerman, Historic Downtown Newburgh
Celebrate Spring in Newburgh Saturday, April 8th during The Newburgh Herb Festival! Newburgh became known for its “Herb Festival” when The Newburgh Old Country Store was in its heyday. Learn about many aspects of herbs and herb growing, as well as herbal skin care products, recipes, research and many uses fascinating and helpful. Shop for herbs and plants, collect seeds & recipe cards and register for some unique herb related items as you explore Downtown Historic Newburgh.
A selection of activities throughout the day include:
- Families can visit the kids potting station hosted at Décor & More in conjunction with Historic Newburgh, Inc. and choose a leafy green plant to pot and take home to add to their own gardens. Donations will be accepted with all proceeds going to fund the Flower Basket Project in Historic Downtown Newburgh for 2017.
- Savor herb-prepared treats at one of local our restaurants as you stop for a meal or treat. You may be offered a recipe card to take home.
- Stop at the Newburgh Museum for a handout on the Gingko Tree and an invitation to find Newburgh’s Ginkgo Tree.
- Visit ERA and pick up a packet of Wildflower Seeds and enter to win an Herb and Wildflower Wreath.
- Pick up an Herb Sachet at A Potpourri of Shops
- Visit Mulberry Jeans & Heart of Newburgh to purchase your herbs and wildflowers for the season.
- Attend one of the educational lectures or demonstrations highlighting growing and cooking with herbs.
Participating locations include:
A Potpourri of Shops
Bright Minds Academy
Décor & More
ERA First Advantage Realty
Feather Your Nest
Head to Toe Salon
Heart of Newburgh
Honey Vinyl Studio
Livewell / Upgrade Café
The Shop at Historic Newburgh
Sunburst Stained Glass