The chilling details of what happened to a little girl named Aliahna Lemmon are starting to pour in. From speculation to fact, the horrific way in which her short life ended is being talked about everywhere from the grocery store checkout to national news sites. And we all want the answer to the same question: Why did a 39-year-old man, a supposedly trusted, family friend, take the life this 9-year-old little girl?

Documents filed in Allen County court Tuesday only give us the cold, hard facts for the end of Aliahna's life last Thursday morning, just three days before Christmas.

From late that night until the early hours of Friday December 23, Plumadore told police he worked at something possibly more horrific than the murder of this 9-year-old little girl. But now we know at least some of the truth. Late Monday evening Fort Wayne police questioned Plumadore again, and this time he confessed to killing the girl. He told police where to find what was left of Aliahna Lemmon.

So how did this man and this little girl even wind up at the same address for a night, let alone a week? The answer lies with Aliahna's grandfather, James Lemmon.

Aliahna's mother, Tarah Souders, moved her family to the trailer park in November so she could help take care of her dying father, James Lemmon. He was suffering from emphysema and wasn't given much time to live. Souders knew the rundown trailer park was home to more than a dozen registered sex offenders. Even her father had a long rap sheet that included a convictions for child molestation in 2006 and was a registered sex offender. But Lemmon reassured his daughter that none of the people in the park would bother her girls. That included the two men she had asked to help care for her father while she lived away from him: Plumadore and another man that hasn't been identified. Plumadore had a criminal history, she knew, but it didn't include any charges or convictions for sex offenses against a child. We now know that Plumadore had been on the run from police in Florida following a one-year sentence for battery following an incident in Miami-Dade County in 2000.

On December 3 of this year, the elder Lemmon died, leaving Plumadore his trailer. When Souders came down with the flu last week, she looked to Plumadore for help. With her husband working nights, having three kids running around making noise in a trailer on Christmas break while someone tries to sleep just wasn't going to work, so Plumadore was her only option. She felt she was leaving her children in good hands with a man that her father trusted.

Sadly, that trust was broken in the most horrific way.