Why Is It So Difficult to Book a Flight? [RANT]
This summer, I will be attending a friend's wedding in Las Vegas. Yep, I'm headed to the ole Sin City. I'm not much of a gambler or a drinker and I'm pretty much entertained by watching CSI (yes, the Vegas one), so I'm not super excited about all the "shows" either but I do care about my friends so I'll make the trek out there.
Okay, so first thing's first. Gotta book my flight, right? WRONG! I just ran into more snags than a toddler on a fishing expedition. Okay, ready?
- Look at all the surrounding cities to see what flight is the cheapest.
- Cheapest flight departs at 5 p.m. and takes nine hours to get there. Wouldn't make it til the day after. Go back.
- Okay, found a decent flight out at a good price. Now, throw return flight into the mix.
- Do I want to leave my hotel room at 3 a.m. and get home at 5 p.m. or leave my hotel room at 9 a.m. and return home at 9 p.m.? Don't forget, I have a baby and have to work the next day. Hmmm...
- Consult husband - he owns his own business and doesn't have to work the next day. Ignore his suggestion of the later flight.
- Try to log on to frequent flyer miles account. Fail. Fail again. Fail third time. Locked out of account.
- Call airline - put on hold for 30 minutes. Try to answer questions you set up five years ago. Try to remember address you had ten years ago in college. Fail.
- "Steve" throws you a bone. Success!
- Time out on the incredibly SLOW airline website. Start over.
- Throw frequent flyer miles into the mix when booking. WHOLE NEW CAN OF WORMS.
- Must use special frequent flyer miles' flights. Find one you think will work.
- Figure it out. Husband doesn't like the plan. Revise plan.
- Figure it out. Not enough miles.
- Buy miles? Too expensive.
- Call mom for miles. No one home.
- Husband has account. No idea account info. Unsuccessfully answer his questions. Fail. Account locked.
- Call "Steve" back. He doesn't remember you. No idea what his address was 10 years ago.
- Cry... Give up.
So, why is this so difficult! It's not like I'm trying to order health care here, people. Just book a stinkin' flight!
21. Cough up the $1,000 from life savings to just book a flight and enjoy the Elvis wedding. Leave when I feel like it.