The First Three Years Are So Important For a Baby – What You Need To Know
After we found out the disturbing statistics of the extremely high infant mortality rate in Vanderburgh County, we teamed up with the Vanderburgh Country Health Department to help save the lives of our babies with the Pre to 3 Program.
The prenatal and first three years of life are crucial for a child. The choices we make could ensure their survival. Here are the reasons why.
Here are a few things that lead to a high infant mortality rate
- Birth defects
- Preterm birth and low birth weight
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- Pregnancy complications
Ways to help reduce the rate of infant death
- Preventing Birth Defects
- Addressing Preterm Birth, Low Birth Weight, and Their Outcomes
- Getting Preconception and Prenatal Care
- Creating a Safe Infant Sleep Environment
- Using Newborn Screening to Detect Hidden Conditions
Although there is no sure way to prevent infant mortality, the Vanderburgh County Health Department's Pre To 3 Program is a way to help the problem of too many of our babies dying. The program is set up to be a resource for young mothers. It is FREE!! Register here!
Here are some other ways you can help with your childs success
- Be warm, loving, and responsive.
- Talk, read, and sing to your child.
- Establish routines and rituals.
- Encourage safe explorations and play.
- Make TV watching selective.
- Use discipline as an opportunity to teach.
- Recognize that each child is unique.
- Choose quality child care and stay involved.
- Take care of yourself.