Evansville Restaurant’s Unique Display of Patriotism
Some friends and I had lunch on the north side the other day. While waiting for my friends to finish paying their bill, I noticed this small table at the front of the restaurant, near the entrance. I must have walked right by it on our way in, but it definitely got my attention on the way out.
I had never seen anything like this before, and I wanted to share it with you. In case you can't read the writing in the frame, I have included it below.
MEANING OF THE ITEMS ON THE "SPECIAL TABLE"
- The table is round to show our everlasting concern for our missing men.
- The tablecloth is white symbolizing the purity of their motives when answering the call of duty.
- The single red rose, displayed in a vase, reminds us of the life of each of the missing, and their loved ones and friends of these Americans who keep the faith, awaiting answers.
- The vase is tied with a red ribbon, symbol of our continued determination to account for our missing.
- A slice of lemon on the bread plate is to remind us of the bitter fate of those captured and missing in a foreign land.
- A pinch of salt symbolizes the tears endured by those missing and their families who seek answers.
- The Bible represents the strength gained through faith to sustain those lost from out country, founded as one nation under God.
- The glass is inverted to symbolize their inability to share this evening's (morning's/day's) toast.
- **There is one more point, but it is unfortunately covered by the frame
So, do you know where I saw this touching display? It was the Pie Pan, located at 905 North Park Drive. I've been there a few times in the past and never noticed that table. I'm not sure if it is a permanent feature (I should have asked but I didn't). It's pretty neat to see though. Stop by for breakfast, lunch or dinner - they're all good - and see for yourself.