Donate Blood to the Evansville Red Cross and Receive a Free Holiday World Ticket
In a tweet released today from the Evansville Red Cross
@EvvRedCross if you donate blood on July 15 or 22 you'll receive a FREE @HolidayWorld ticket. Appointments required! Call 1-800-REDCROSS or http://ow.ly/m6Oq6
We encourage you to give blood throughout the year because there is a huge need for it and you never know when you or someone in your family will need blood. According to the Red Cross:
- Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- More than 44,000 blood donations are needed every day.
- A total of 30 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S. (2006).
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints.
- The blood type most often requested by hospitals is Type O.
- The blood used in an emergency is already on the shelves before the event occurs.
- Sickle cell disease affects more than 80,000 people in the U.S., 98 percent of whom are African American. Sickle cell patients can require frequent blood transfusions throughout their lives.
- More than 1 million new people are diagnosed with cancer each year. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.