Contact Us

A Smart Thing To Do At Work May Be to Play Dumb

(NASA/Bill Ingalls/Getty Images)

Have you ever played dumb at work?  C’mon now, let’s be honest…playing dumb once in a while can be beneficial to the preservation of our employment, save us from getting stuck in the mire of office politics, and…possibly make our workplace more efficient!  “What was that last part?” you ask.  Let me explain this double-sided situation…

A couple of professors at Lund University in Sweden, Mats Alvesson and Andre Spicer, explain that “functional stupidity” can be a good thing in the workplace.  They say that having too many “smart” people in a company that overanalyze things and make too many alternative suggestions can disrupt workflow and slow down productivity.  They add that the best team players are people who complete their work without questioning their bosses.

Mats and Andre continue to say that “functional stupidity” has nothing to do with IQ.  After all, how many times have you and your co-workers kept your mouths shut because you knew the outcomes would result in a negative effect in one way or another?  Often we keep our mouths shut because of office politics, including fear of reprisal for speaking up.  That’s personally been true for me with several employers of my own.

Did you know that only 31 percent of employees are comfortable expressing their opinions to their bosses?  If you’re in the other 69 percent and you’re NOT comfortable sharing your true opinions to your boss, then your company is not part of the trend that gets employees involved in the creative and decision making process.  Think about how employee silence and “functional stupidity” inhibits employees and companies from the creative growth they could experience otherwise, not to mention the suppression of workplace morale.  If you’re a “boss,” this is something you should take seriously.

To read more about this issue regarding “A Stupidity-Based Theory of Organizations,” click here.

 

More from Newstalk

Best of the Web

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your points and personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account with your Facebook account, just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing profile and VIP program points. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://newstalk1280.com using your Facebook account.

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

Register on NewsTalk 1280 WGBF quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!

Not a Member? Sign Up Here

Register on NewsTalk 1280 WGBF quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!